Friday, 6 February 2015

6 TIPS: HOW TO Spot an Animal Testing Company


Everyone enjoys a bit of pampering with various (beauty) products and no one wants other living beings to be harmed in order to receive the product. I am, of course, talking about animal testing, which, after getting familiar with it, I am strictly against. Sadly, the market is filled with high street brands that still test on animals in the 21st century and they are way more common than you would like to think.

However, the good news is (it is good that there is always a good part coming, isn't it? ;)) there are a few tricks that we can do in order to avoid the brands with low ethics and support (as I like to call them) the good brands. *you can see how much I like them; I even coloured the words in pink.

Keep in mind: “Many of the products on our supermarket shelves, from lipsticks and deodorants to floor cleaners and washing liquids, have either been tested on animals OR contain ingredients that have”.

There are several things to focus on, the ones listed below are the ones that help me the most:

1. Look For Certificates:

* CRUELTY FREE INTERNATIONAL 

Leaping Bunny
“Cruelty free international is the only global organisation working solely to end animal testing for cosmetics and consumer products. We are calling on governments and regulators around the world to introduce a ban on testing of animals for cosmetics and consumer products and ingredients.”
MORE INFO: Click HERE to visit the website.


* VEGETARIAN SOCIETY

Vegetarian Society Approved
“To be approved for the certificate the product must fulfil ALL the following criteria:
* Be free from animal flesh (meat, fowl, fish or shellfish), meat or bone stock, animal or carcass fats, gelatine, aspic or any other ingredients resulting from animal slaughter.
* Contain only free range eggs, where eggs used.
* Be free from genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
* There must be no cross contamination with non-vegetarian products during the production process.
* Be cruelty-free - no animal testing is permitted.”
MORE INFO: Click HERE to visit the website.

* VEGAN SOCIETY

“Vegan Trademark Standards:
*The development and/or manufacture of the product, and where applicable its ingredients, must not involve, or have involved, testing of any sort on animals conducted at the initiative of the manufacturer or on its behalf, or by parties over whom the manufacturer has effective control.
*GMO must not have involved animal genes or animal-derived substances. Products put forward for registration which contain or may contain any GMOs must be labelled as such.
*Dishes that are labelled vegan must be prepared separately from non-vegan dishes.”
MORE INFO: Click HERE to visit the website.

There are several certificates out there and things can sometimes get a bit confusing (been there done that). Whenever I come across a certain certificate that I don't fully understand, I google it. Simples :) 
However, I still feel most comfortable with the Vegan & Cruelty Free (leaping bunny) logos.

2. Check the Companies' Websites:
Look for the answers to these questions:
* does it specifically say they don't test on animals?
The answer to the question Do you test on animals? should be simply NO. Whenever I see a long essay answering this simple question, I get suspicious. 
XXX brand does not test on animals by no means, unless required by local law.   -> To answer this question simply: The brand DOES test on animals.

* does it say their ingredients aren't tested on animals?
Some websites might say: Our products are not tested on animals. What about the product's ingredients?
what we are looking for is:
Our products OR ingredients are not tested on animals.

* is a third party testing the ingredients or the products on the behalf of the brand?
XXX does not test on animals.
what we are looking for is:
XXX does not test on animals nor do we commission third parties to test on our behalf.

3. Check PETA's Lists of Companies That Do And Don't Test On Animals
WHITE LIST: Companies that don't test on animals
BLACK LIST: Companies that do test on animals
MORE INFO: Click HERE to view the lists.

However, be careful, as it has occurred several times in the past, that the brand, which was on the white list, started testing later on. I trust these lists 70%, however, I believe they are a good way to get familiar with what kind of brands are most likely to test on animals.

4. Ask the Companies Yourself
If you are still unsure wether a company does or doesn't test on animals you can contact them by writing them an email. Be specific with your questions and read the reply carefully, as them companies know how to play with their words. You know what I'm sayin' ;)
It might be that they will send you the most polite and almost flower-smelling email, but in the end you will realise: wait a second! They didn't answer my questions! Whenever I had an experience like that I put the brand on the Aniqa, I think it is good to avoid this brand list.

5. Follow Cruelty-Free Blogs  
Some cruelty-free blogs truly put a lot of effort into their posts. They are constantly updating their lists with cruelty and cruelty-free brands, are personally contacting the brands regarding their animal testing policy and know what to look for in the brand's replies. As mentioned before; the replies you get from brands that test on animals can seem just fine at first, however, once you read through them really carefully, you realise they actually politely refused to give a proper answer. 
I like to check out blogs from these lovely ladies, who share some good information: Cruelty Free Kitty and Humanely Chic

6. Ask in Beauty Stores
Sometimes retailers will know, sometimes they won't. I believe it is good to try no matter what. For example, I just arrived home from the Whole Foods Market where I was looking for some vegan nail polish remover. Sadly, the people who worked there weren't 100% sure wether the nail polish removers were vegan, however, they were certain that none of them were tested on animals as the company doesn't support such brands. Now we are getting somewhere! :) 
I simply looked around the shop and now I have several additional brands to check out, that I will feel comfortable about. If you are like me, and are also on the path to support not just cruelty-free, but vegan products as well, then do not hesitate to stay in the beauty department a few extra minutes and dig your nose into the products' ingredients, brands' leaflets etc. This is just what I did today and I have an awesome leaflet with the list of some cool cruelty-free & vegan products. Don't be shy, you know it is fun to sniff around!

AN EXTRA TIP:
Join Groups, Meetups...
Meet people who are passionate about the cruelty-free subject and are always in the know about the newest issues, brands etc. I met some great and very inspiring people by doing just that, so get out there and explore!


How do you feel about companies that test on animals? Would you be willing to stop buying products from your favourite brand, if you found out it tests on animals? 

TWITTER  FACEBOOK  YOUTUBE  INSTAGRAM

9 comments:

  1. Hi Ana! Thank you got featuring my blog! I don't mind! I really appreciate it. <3 <3 <3 :P

    Also, I really like the sites you featured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Camila! I am really happy to hear that :) I had to mention your blog. You share some cool tips x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always prefer cruelty free brands!! I wish companies would make it easier for us to find out whether or not they test on animals!! My favourite cruelty free brands are Tarte, Urban Decay, and Two Faced Cosmetics!


    haileysworkshop.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super helpful! I never knew what to look for in certificates. I'll definitely keep this in mind tomorrow when I buy foundation tomorrow :)


    Amanda | teatimetails.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really happy to hear you find it helpful! Also, thank you for sharing it on Twitter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, they try to avoid this topic as much as possible, if they do test on animals. Thank you for sharing your favourite cruelty-free brands! I will check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Yes, I had some funny experiences in the past. I learned my lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Thanks for mentioning my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! And you are welcome ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...